The summer is here and the sun is shining. That’s right, the temperatures are rising, which means we all have to take good care to ensure that our horses aren’t uncomfortable and don’t suffer. Time to invest in a summer sheet.
Keeping your horse hydrated is vital in the searing heat, you will want to ensure your animal has plenty of cool water at its disposal. As well as plenty of water, it is also vital that your horse has plenty of access to nice cool shade. Leaving the animal outside in direct sunlight all day is cruel and should be avoided.
There are a number of other things that you should do to ensure your horse is comfortable in the midsummer heat, but there are also a number of items that you can purchase that will also have a very positive effect on your horse’s comfort. There are a number of horse rugs and sheets that come in handy for a wide and varying range of situations, and there are two specific types of rug that are extremely useful in the heat. These are fly rugs and summer sheets. Here is some useful information on each of them...
Fly rugs are extremely useful in the hot weather. They are specifically designed to protect your horse from flies and other biting insects. When it is hot outside your horse will want to remain as still and inactive as possible. Here are some benefits of fitting your horse with a fly rug...
- Soft and durable - These rugs tend to be nice and soft, they are pretty comfy for your horse. This is good as there is nothing worse than being uncomfortable on a hot day. They are also very durable, which means that they will last you a relatively long time.
- Prevents biting - Their main use is to prevent your horse from being bitten by flies or other insects. When your horse is out in the field it can relax without being covered in insects with the use of one of these fantastic fly rugs.
- Sun protection - Another secondary advantage for fly rugs, is that they protect your horse from direct sunlight. This protects the animal’s coat and skin from the damage that would be caused from overexposure to direct sunlight.
- Versatility - These sheets are versatile and work efficiently in both the field and the stables. So, you don’t need to worry about changing from one rug to another when you move your horse from the stables to the field.
Summer sheets are another useful addition to your horse’s wardrobe. Here are some of the advantages of using a summer sheet on your horse...
- Universal - These rugs are very universal, versatile and can be used in many situations.
- Durable and comfortable - In this sense, they are similar to fly rugs. Summer sheets are also durable, long-lasting and comfortable for your horse to wear.
- Protects against dust and dirt. - These rugs are very useful for protecting your horse’s skin and coat from dust and dirt. This means your horse can stay clean and dirt free all summer. You can use these rugs when traveling or in the stable. They work well at preserving the animal's lovely coat before a competition.
- Breathable - They are also nice and breathable, which means your horse won’t overheat in the midday summer sun.
For more summer accessories, such as fly masks and fly repellents head to our site! Choose the right rug for your horse with our buying guide, just click here! Has your horse suffered from fly bites? Read our guide on how to treat a horse fly bite here! Battling sweet itch? Here's our guide to keeping your horse comfortable this summer!